The purpose of the Association is to develop, promote, and improve library and information services, library staff, and the profession of librarianship in order to advance literacy and learning and to ensure access to information in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Since its founding in 1905, VLA has grown in number; expanded the scope of its organization; engaged legislatively at the state and federal level; provided its members with newsletters, scholarly journals, and a website; and supported library education, training, and outreach.
For more information, please read Alyssa Altshuler’s piece, The Virginia Library Association: A Retrospective.
- 2012: Connie Gilman, Prince William Public Library System
- 2011: Matt Todd, Northern Virginia Community College
- 2010: John A. Moorman, Willliamsburg Regional LIbrary
- 2009: Robin Benke, University of Virginia at Wise
- 2008: Donna Cote, Central Rappahannock Regional Library
- 2007: Pat Howe, Longwood University Library
- 2006: Ruth Arnold, Staunton Public Library
- 2005: Ruth E. Keifer, George Mason University
- 2004: Edwin S. Clay, Fairfax County Public Library
- 2003: Morel Fry, Old Dominion Univerity
- 2002: Iza Cieszynski, Newport News Public Library
- 2001: Cy Dillon, Hampden-Sydney College
- 2000: Carolyn Barkley, Virginia Beach Public Library
- 1999: Sandra Heinemann, Hampden-Sydney College
- 1998: Tom Hehman, Bedford Public Library System
- 1997: Lisabeth Chabot, Mary Baldwin College
- 1996: Caroline Parr, Central Rappahannock Regional Library
For a complete list of Past Presidents and Officers from 1905-1995, please see pages 11-15 of the VLA Centennial Keepsake Edition of Virginia Libraries, July/August/September 2005.
Virginia Library Association
c/o Lisa R. Varga, VLA Executive Director
PO Box 56312
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
(757) 689-0594 or Fax (757) 447-3478
Email: Lisa Varga, VLA Executive Director (email@example.com)
for VLA Website or Listserv issues please contact Lisa Varga