About Scholarship Committee:
• To provide financial support to Association members who seek to advance their
education in the field of librarianship.
1. To recommend to the Executive Committee policies and regulations for administering
and awarding scholarships.
2. To raise money for the VLA scholarships by conducting fund raising activities
throughout the year, including a raffle during the VLA conference.
3. To publicize available scholarships in the VLA Newsletter, on the Web site, and in
4. To receive and review applications for the Virginia Library Association scholarships,
following the established criteria:
- Scholarships require residence in the state of Virginia or current employment at a Virginia library, an undergraduate degree, and an acceptance by an American Library Association accredited library school or a pending application for admission. The Clara Stanley Scholarship requires current employment in a Virginia Library.
- The major factors considered in making the awards are: evidence of commitment to a career in librarianship in Virginia, financial need, potential for outstanding achievement in the library profession, academic excellence, and membership in the Virginia Library Association.
5. To select the recipients of the VLA scholarships. The committee chooses the three
winners from the top ranked applicants. The VLAPF chair/co-chair select the Clara
Stanley Scholarship recipient from this pool.
6. To notify applicants of the committee’s decision, send names and addresses of
recipients to the VLA Executive Director, and prepare information about winners for
inclusion in VLA publications.
7. To award scholarships at VLAPF spring conference and VLA fall conference.