About Intellectual Freedom Committee:
The Chair is appointed by the Vice President/President Elect for a two-year term and assumes office at the Annual Conference. The chair is a member of Council. During the second year of his/her term, the chair may recommend a chair designee to the Vice President/President Elect for the upcoming year.
The Second Vice-President, as Chair of the Administrative Services Committee, appoints at least 6 members, 1 from each region, for two year terms. Terms are staggered.
- Inform Council of abridgements of intellectual freedom in the Commonwealth and recommend such action as may be necessary to safeguard intellectual freedom in relation to the libraries of the Commonwealth. Such actions may include, but are not limited to, media and/or billboard advertisements, representation at meetings or hearings, letters to the media, and moral support to local librarians.
- Keep informed concerning matters which have been brought before the ALA Committee on Intellectual Freedom and report items of specific interest to VLA.
- Chair represents VLA to ALA, the media, and other groups or individuals on questions of intellectual freedom after consultation with the President.
- Work to develop educational programs concerning intellectual freedom, and develop standard procedures for handling complaints.
- Inform the Executive Committee when a particular case, that it is monitoring, may require that Committee’s attention.
- Coordinate and publicize annual Freedom of Information Dayactivities on March 16.
- Coordinate and publicize annual Banned Books Week activities during the last week in September.
- Administer the biannual VLA/SIRS Intellectual Freedom Award and select award recipient.(See Appendix Q of VLA Manual)
- Coordinate with the Publications Committee to maintain the Intellectual Freedom web page.
- Coordinate with the Publications Committee to maintain the Intellectual Freedom Manual.