Professional development consists of focused learning and training opportunities that allow librarians, other professionals, paraprofessionals, and library students to enhance their knowledge, skills and abilities and enable them to provide improved library services.
Click here to donate to the Professional Development Endowment via Paypal. Checks may be sent to VLA, (click here for address), marked “Professional Development Endowment Donation” in the comment line. Thank you!
Professional Development Endowment Committee
Purpose: To provide recommendations to the VLA Executive Committee on the management and use of the Professional Development Endowment Fund.
- Develop and maintain guidelines for fund management.
- Provide to the VLA Executive Committee recommendations on expenditures from the Fund.
- Develop and maintain a calendar for requests for fund disbursements.
- Develop and maintain guidelines and procedures for consideration of fund requests.
Officers and Membership:
Chair: The chair is appointed by the Immediate past-president for a two year term and serves as a member of Council. During the second year of his/her term the chair may recommend a chair designee to the Immediate past-president for the upcoming year.
- Pay Association dues by January 1 of each year of office.
- Attend VLA Council meetings and participate in the affairs of the Association.
- Initiate and maintain communication with members of the committee.
- Plan, promote, and sponsor committee activities, continuing education programs, and annual conference programs as needed. (See VLA Manual, Program Expense Estimate Sheet, Appendix D)
- Maintain record of committee activities; preserve and pass on to successors a record of work and activities with recommendations for changes or actions; send material not needed for this purpose to the secretary for addition to the Association’s archives.
- Submit the annual report of the committee to the VLA Secretary two weeks prior to the annual conference. (See Annual Report form, VLA Manual, Appendix G)
Membership: The committee has five members. One member of the committee is the Association’s Treasurer. A second member of the committee is the Association’s Chair of the Continuing Education Committee. The other committee members serve two year staggered terms and are selected by the Immediate past president as terms expire. Committee members pay Association dues by January 1 of each year of office.