- A. Purpose
- The Paraprofessional Forum provides a formal network for paraprofessionals throughout Virginia.
- B. Specific Objectives
- 1. Provide members with information pertinent to paraprofessionals. 2. Increase formal and informal opportunities for in-service training and staff development for library paraprofessionals in order to enhance career mobility by awarding the Paraprofessional Scholarship Award. (See Appendix I) 3. Increase awareness in the library community of the role of paraprofessionals in providing library service. 4. Create a formal structure whereby Virginia paraprofessionals may make meaningful contributions to VLA and may benefit from the Association’s support and guidance. 5. Plan and present the Paraprofessional Conference. 6. Provide a mechanism for recognition of paraprofessionals who demonstrate excellence in their library fields of expertise, foster communication among library employees throughout Virginia, and advance and strengthen the image of paraprofessionals, by awarding the Outstanding Paraprofessional of the Year award. (See Appendix J)
- C. Officers
- 1. Officers include a chair and vice-chair/chair-elect and any other position determined to be necessary by the Forum. The vice-chair/chair-elect serves for two years, one year as vice-chair, and one year as chair.
- 1. Attend annual Continuing Education Committee training sessions. 2. Attend VLA Council meetings. 3. Prepare budget request when needed to support Forum activities (see Appendix C) and submit to VLA Treasurer for review and approval. 4. Initiate and maintain communication with members of the Forum through mailings, listservs, e-mail, Web pages or meetings. 5. Plan, promote and sponsor continuing education programs each calendar year as a need is identified. (See Appendix E) 6. Maintain record of Forum activities; preserve and pass on to successors a record of work and activities with recommendations for changes or actions; send material not needed for this purpose to the Secretary for addition to the Association’s archives.
- 7. Submit two copies of the annual report of the Forum to the VLA Secretary two weeks prior to the annual conference. (See Appendix H)
2. Paraprofessional Forum Executive Board
- The Paraprofessional Forum Executive Board includes elected officers (co-chairs, co-chairs-elect, a recording secretary, a corresponding secretary, a treasurer and the immediate past co-chairs) as well as members-at-large.
- a. Co-chairs
- 1. Conduct VLAPF Board meetings. 2. Prepare operating budget and conference/programs budget and monitor expenditures and receipts. 3. Coordinate Forum sponsored conferences and program responsibilities 4. Attend VLA Council meetings and communicate concerns between the Council and the Forum. 5. Prepare an annual report for the association archives and send corrected copies of the Board meeting minutes to the Secretary of the Association. 6. Chair the VLA Paraprofessional Forum Award and Outstanding Paraprofessional Award Committees.
- b. Co-Chairs-Elect
- 1. Act in a training status to co-chairs. 2. Share in conference and program execution as delegated by co-chairs. 3. Preside over VLAPF Board meetings in the absence of the co-chairs. 4. Attend Council meetings in the absence of the co-chairs.
- c. Recording Secretary
- 1. Record attendance and minutes of the VLAPF Board meetings. Distribute minutes and announcements of future meetings to each board member. 2. Maintain and distribute directory of VLAPF board members. 3. Provide corrected copies of board meeting minutes to the co-chairs.
- d. Corresponding Secretary
- 1. Handle external communication such as thank-you notes, press releases toVirginia Libraries and other publications. 2. Record attendance and minutes of VLAPF Board meetings in the absence of the Recording Secretary.
- e. Immediate Past Co-Chairs
- 1. Provide continuity of leadership within the Forum. 2. Act as advisor to co-chairs, as requested. 3. Preside at VLAPF Board meetings in the absence of the co-chairs and co-chairs-elect. 4. Maintain archives of the Forum’s programs and publications.
- f. Members-at-Large
- 1. Attend monthly Forum Executive Board meetings.
- 2. Assist in planning and executing annual conference, programs and other projects of the Forum.