The links above are to the application packet for the Virginia Library Association Scholarship. The Virginia Library Association awards two $2,500 scholarships for students pursuing a Masters degree in Library Science at ALA accredited schools. One of these, the Clara Stanley Scholarships, is awarded by the VLA Paraprofessional Forum.
The eligibility requirements for the VLA Scholarship are:
- Residence in the state of Virginia or currently employed in a Virginia library.
- an undergraduate degree, and
- Acceptance by an American Library Association accredited library school or a pending application for admission. MUST be earning a Master of Library Science Degree
- Membership in VLA
- for the Clara Stanley VLAPF scholarship: current employment at a Virginia library
The major factors considered in making the awards are:
- evidence of commitment to a career in librarianship in Virginia,
- financial need,
- potential for outstanding achievement in the library profession,
- academic excellence,
- membership in the Virginia Library Association.
In order to be considered, your application, including two references, must be emailed to Lisa Varga by March 1, 2012. Please give copies of the reference form to two persons, one of whom should be a librarian. The references should return the forms to Lisa Varga via email.
The Scholarship Committee will review applications during the spring and you will be notified of the Committee’s decisions in late April. If you have any questions about any aspect of the application process, please contact Elizabeth McCormick.
2011-12 VLA Scholarship Committee